- This event has passed.
Fall Membership Meeting
September 24 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
This meeting will be recorded for those who are unable to attend. You can turn off your video feed if you do not wish to be seen, and you can change your name if you do not wish to be identified.
We ask that you ‘arrive’ fifteen minutes early so that we can allow people in gradually. We will be checking names against our current membership list to ensure that only members are in attendance.
Here is the agenda for the meeting:
- Confirmation of Quorum
- Land Acknowledgement Statement
- Equality Statement
- Approval of Equality Statement
- Committee Reports
- Approval of Committee Reports
- Proposal for Limited Term Appointment for President
The scheduled proposal (see below) will call for a vote. Information on the subject of this vote will be sent along with the agenda this Thursday. Voting will take place online immediately following the end of the meeting.
Proposal for Limited Term Appointment for President
The following text is a summary of the proposal to be made at the Fall Membership Meeting next week, followed by a financial proposal. A full presentation will be made at the meeting, followed by a vote. Please read this proposal over carefully, and bring any questions you might have to the meeting.
We currently find ourselves in a ‘special period’ that will not likely end for some time. It is my belief that the next four years will be consequential for CUPE 3913. We do not know the long-term structural and financial effects that will arise due to COVID-19, and we need to be able to effectively address its consequences.
the next bargaining round in 2023 will also present the Union with difficult challenges and novel opportunities, which I believe requires long-term planning, execution, and the direct experience of the structural and financial effects COVID-19 will have on the Union.
I am proposing a Limited Term Appointment (LTA) to allow me to lead the Union through to the next bargaining round (2023 – 2024), and the following year to 2025.
This LTA would allow for continuity and stability throughout this ‘special period’ between the membership, the union staff, and the employer, as well as to allow for consistent long-term planning for the next bargaining round, and for the work of the Union. There are productive goals I can reach under this proposed Appointment, and I am willing to commit to this work.
Terms of the LTA
- The LTA will have an annual expiry date of April 30 (e.g. April 30, 2021);
- A designated member of the Executive Committee and the President would be required to sign a renewal LTA for every year of its life;
- The President will continue to run for election annually throughout the life of the LTA;
- The Executive Committee may call a special meeting each April to consult with the President before signing the LTA renewal;
- The Executive Committee and/or the President will have the option of not renewing the LTA;
- If the Executive Committee wishes to terminate the LTA, they must seek the approval of the membership to do so;
- The LTA will begin its life on the date it is signed, which can be no later than January 1, 2012;
- The life of the LTA would end irrevocably on April 30, 2025
LTA Financial Proposal
- The President’s salary for this LTA would be based on the current hourly rate: $38.56;
- The President will work 35 hours per week;
- This equals to $70,179.20 per year;
- The President will receive back pay retroactive to May 1, 2020, minus the pay they received during that period. This will come into effect upon signing of the LTA, which can be no later than January 1, 2012.